Friday, January 13, 2012

Sci-Fi Art

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you no doubt have a much better appreciation of Science Fiction than the average citizen. Going with this assumption, I direct you to The Richard M. Powers Cyber Art Gallery. Powers is one of my all-time favorite science fiction cover artists - wonderful surrealism. If you like what you see on the web, hunt down a copy of "The Art of Richard Powers" by Jane Frank. I was able to buy a good used copy from an Amazon.com seller at a reasonable price.

I also recommend that you check out the Library of American Artists package from Non-Stop Press... there are three books in the series, and they are all great.

  • Ed Emshwiller is a long-time favorite of mine; you can get a nice taste of his works here. And this is the book that is available:




















  • There is also a book on Jack Gaughan. You can get an idea of his works here.

And of course the disclaimer: I have no relationship of any kind with Non-Stop Press. I just appreciate the work that they have done in putting together these books - I appreciate that there are actual BOOKS to be had - and I want people who might enjoy them to be aware of their existence.

I realize that I have strayed somewhat from my original "mission"... but here's the thing - my chance encounter with Ensculptic and resulting obsessive blogging has introduced me to a great architect and artist who has helped re-spark my interest in sci-fi art, and I want to share that with anyone who might be interested. They are all related in my head - an imaginative life is an interesting life, and these artists thought and worked outside of the boring beige boxes that so much of society seems to want to hide inside. There is a lot of inspiration in these books and on these web pages.

Coming soon: more photos from last year's visit to Ensculptic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. Please note that comments are moderated, so your comment may not show up right away. If you send spam, it will be deleted.